Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Embarrassment

Something that I have been thinking about a bit lately as I have started new employment. I felt like God was asking me a question one day last week. "Do you love and trust me enough to be embarrassed for me?" Not embarrassed about the gospel but the being placed in a circumstance that may cause me to feel embarrassed but provide a door of opportunity for the gospel.


There is one thing that I fear more than "how" I will die one day - being embarrassed - to look like a fool. It goes way back to my grade school days when I was "spanked" in front of the class for making a simple mistake on an art assignment in fourth grade. It was one of my "Diary of a wimpy Kid" moments. I'm not bitter :-). It probably goes back even further than that. Anyways - I hate the feeling. You know what I am talking about. I do everything possible to avoid the uncomfortableness of embarrassment. Its like vomiting (I'm sorry).


"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things - and the things that are not - to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him." ICor. 1:27-29 (NIV)


When I consider all that Christ did for me - the humiliation of public flogging - the rejection of the people that He created - the pain of the cross - the being forsaken for my sin - I am shamed by the way that I shy away from the occasional situation because of my fear of embarrassment. Well - I am going to trust God more today - that He will be the one speaking through me when I find myself in a potentially embarrassing setting. I am going to choose to stand in His strength knowing that whose I am is more important than how I appear to people. I am going to choose to receive the peace of the Father that always comes when I am doing something that makes Him smile - even though it is a challenge for me. He loves it when we trust Him and His goodness.


Will you join me? Let's be royalty and make God smile!!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment